*2016-2017 Updated Volunteer Requirements
The United States Conference of Bishops’ Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People mandates that every diocese implement Safe Environment programs for all children, parents, and adults. The principal purpose of this Charter is to ensure a safe environment for the children of each diocese.
Here in the Diocese of Allentown, a number of steps have been taken in order implement these guidelines pertaining to reconciliation, healing, accountability, and prevention of future acts of abuse. Below is a list of the requirements necessary to volunteer at La Salle Academy. Your patience in obtaining the proper certifications in order to keep our students as safe as possible when you volunteer is greatly appreciated!
Requirements for La Salle Academy Adult Volunteers
As of July 1, 2016, the following documents must be on file in the correct format with the La Salle Academy School Office before Volunteering for school or CYO functions may occur. Many of our volunteers from this last school year will need to update one or more of the documents listed below. If you are unsure if all of your clearances are in order, please contact the school office for verification at 610-777-7392.
(Please note: This policy applies to anyone 18 years and older who will be volunteering while minors are present, which includes, Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles, etc.)
State Required Clearances (will need to be updated every five years)
- #1 Submit a PA State Police Background Check
- #2 Submit a PA Department of Welfare’s Child Abuse Clearance
- #3 Submit the Diocese of Allentown Background Check and Fingerprint Authorization Form.
- Completion Process: Once submitted to the school for processing, an FBI Fingerprint authorization to be finger printed form is generated and sent to the school. The school will contact the volunteer to pick up his/her Fingerprint Authorization form. The Volunteer takes the Authorization form and makes an appointment to be fingerprinted at a fingerprinting location. Once the FBI Clearance comes to the volunteer’s home via Postal Mail, (in approximately 10-14 business days), the volunteer turns in the FBI verification forms mailed to them into the school office to add to his/her file.
- #4 Read and sign the Policy Regarding the Sexual Abuse of Minors acknowledgment form
- #5 Read and sign the Code of Conduct policy acknowledgment form
Free Required Trainings
- #6 Submit a Protecting God’s Children workshop certificate of attendance
- #7 Submit a Mandated Reporting Training certificate of completion**. (3-hour course) The most commonly accepted version can be obtained at the following web address, www.reportabusepa.pitt.edu. However, there is a list of others that may be acceptable. Please bring your completion certificate to the school office for verification.
Motor Vehicle Report – If you will be driving students other than your own child in a motor vehicle for a School Activity.
- #8 Submit a Motor Vehicle Safety Training certificate of completion